This position is responsible for acting as the Finance Manager for multiple foreign subsidiaries of Vertex Inc. ensuring the accuracy and integrity of the accounting systems while partnering with business leaders to support strategic outcomes and operational plans by developing strategies and tactical plans emanating from the business plan.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for integrity, accuracy, and timeliness of monthly financial statements for multiple foreign subsidiaries.
- Responsible for providing management with relevant financial data and reports necessary to support decision making.
- Ensure accuracy of accounting records by directing, developing, and implementing policies and procedures in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), or their equivalent, (collectively, GAAP) and IRS regulations.
- Work closely with Business Leaders in the development and measurement of financial goals, strategies and operational plans, including:
- Analyzing and evaluating business area operating results and financial position, including comparison to plan and working collaboratively with Business Leaders to understand drivers behind variances that may require adjustment to business activities.
- Provide recommendations to Business Leaders that may enhance profitability of operations.
- Manage the financial functions of multiple foreign subsidiaries of Vertex, Inc., including:
- Accounting - Managing general ledger, month end close and consolidation process, which includes:
- Recording of monthly journal entries and performance of monthly closing of the general ledger.
- Reconciling intercompany activity.
- Creating of workpapers/account reconciliations to support all balance sheet accounts and certain P&L accounts.
- Managing Fixed Assets subledger in Oracle.
- Creating and distributing monthly financial statement package(s).
- Analyzing accounting transactions for accuracy, investigating questionable data and taking corrective action when necessary.
- Participating in the review and analysis of trend reports for anomalies to ensure a complete and accurate monthly close.
- Managing Transfer Pricing calculations and ensuring accuracy of calculations.
- Managing relationships with outsourced third parties.
- Accounts Payable - Processing payments to vendors and employees.
- Payroll - Ensuring monthly payroll is processed timely and all applicable withholdings and statutory obligations are completed accurately and in compliance with local requirements.
- Tax - Managing local tax compliance (i.e. VAT, payroll, corporate, etc.) and supporting Corporate tax needs related to foreign subsidiaries.
- Treasury - Managing all banking activity for applicable foreign accounts and interfacing with foreign banks as a local liaison
- Financial Reporting - Act as financial liaison to European management, provide monthly reporting and modeling as needed.
- Supervise staff and delegate responsibilities as appropriate with consideration to review & oversight of work, proper separation of duties, and backups are in place for vacation coverage.
- Responsible for managing annual financial statement audits of foreign subsidiaries, leading the engagement with the auditors, and preparing supporting work papers, analysis, and financial statement reports.
- Exercise professional judgment to moderately resolve complex accounting problems.
- Coordinate Accounting interactions with other entities to support timely and accurate financial reporting.
- Act as country liaison and point of contact for process improvements and financial matters. Provide advice to other entities for upcoming initiatives and act as a sounding board for teams and projects with respect to financial and accounting issues.
- Assist in establishing, implementing, documenting, and monitoring compliance with the Company's adopted accounting policies and procedures, with a focus on foreign subsidiary activities.
- Work on country cross functional teams related to a variety of areas and projects bringing Finance specific expertise as well as overall business acumen.
- Establish effective processes and practices for knowledge sharing and communication
- Lead or participate in other projects or duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Coach employees on career development opportunities and strategies.
- Manage and coach employees on all human resource related processes including selection, performance management, employee relations, terminations, compensation and rewards, employee development, etc.
- Recognize others' contributions and share credit for success.
- Own attainment of high employee satisfaction and retention; lead development of program and initiatives within group to attain high employee satisfaction.
- Knowledge of US GAAP, applicable local GAAP for relevant foreign subsidiaries and IFRS required
- Experience with managing multiple international subsidiaries and consolidation required, preferably with a US parent.
- Treasury management experience with managing multiple currencies required.
- Prior experience in handling VAT, corporate taxes and payroll in the applicable foreign jurisdictions required.
- Experience with Oracle or Workday ERP system or other Cloud based ERP system preferred.
- Ability to apply professional concepts, experience, and company objectives in order to perform an in-depth analysis of situations or data to resolve complex issues in creative ways.
- Ability to work without supervision. Latitude for independent decision making
- Ability to network with key contacts outside own area of expertise.
- Ability to listen and understand information and communicate the same.
- Must be results oriented, customer focused, and exhibit good interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages.
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills required.
- Excellent communication (oral, written, presentation and facilitation) skills.
- Attend educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, developing and/or maintaining proficiency in the latest productivity and technical tools.
- Sufficient knowledge of business communications, including telephone, voicemail, and e-mail, and operations of office machines, such as photocopier, scanner, and fax.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration or Accounting or equivalent
- Ten (10) plus years' experience in professional accounting, including overseeing the month in close and reporting process and involvement in other accounting and finance areas.
- Two (2) plus years' leadership responsibility.
- CPA certification or Foreign equivalent preferred.
- Or equivalent combination of education and/or experiencer equivalent experience.
Other Qualifications - The Winning Way behaviors that all Vertex employees need in order to meet the expectations of each other, our customers, and our partners
- Communicate with Clarity - Be clear, concise and actionable. Be relentlessly constructive. Seek and provide meaningful feedback.
- Act with Urgency - Adopt an agile mentality - frequent iterations, improved speed, resilience. 80/20 rule - better is the enemy of done. Don't spend hours when minutes are enough.
- Work with Purpose - Exhibit a "We Can" mindset. Results outweigh effort. Everyone understands how their role contributes. Set aside personal objectives for team results.
- Drive to Decision - Cut the swirl with defined deadlines and decision points. Be clear on individual accountability and decision authority. Guided by a commitment to and accountability for customer outcomes.
- Own the Outcome - Defined milestones, commitments and intended results. Assess your work in context, if you're unsure, ask. Demonstrate unwavering support for decisions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals in this position. Other functions may be assigned, and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.