Job Description Summary
BD is looking for a highly talented and experienced Embedded Software Engineer to lead the Software subsystems of connected drug infusion platforms and beyond.
The Staff Software Engineer holds a critical position, responsible for providing software design, implementation, and testing of embedded software for medical devices to enable pharmaceutical drug delivery and connected health capabilities.
The Difference of One
Are you ready to make a difference in this world? Do you want to be part of a team that develops ground breaking medical and biotechnology services and devices? One person can make a singular difference in saving and improving lives. At BD, we are looking for amazing, passionate and dedicated people like you.
BD, a company standing on 120 years of innovation in medical technology, is currently recruiting talented individuals to join our Research and Development (R&D) Centre of Excellence in Dun Laoghaire.
BD’s purpose is to advance the world of health. As part of our team, you will be on the forefront of creating and developing specialized devices, software solutions and systems to help others. The R&D group and facility was established in Dun Laoghaire in 2017 and is continuing to grow to support the Pharmaceutical Systems business and its $2 billion product portfolio.
You are the one who can make the difference. Join us and be a crucial part of advancing the world of health!
Be the Staff Electronic Engineer
- Possess the skills, knowledge and aptitude to engage, influence, and collaborate with the multiple disciplines involved in the development of connected health and electro-mechanical drug delivery systems.
- Demonstrate a primary commitment to patient safety and product quality by maintaining compliance with BD Quality policies and procedures for medical device development.
- Develop deep technical understanding of all drug delivery solutions (device architecture, System Engineering, critical to function parameters)
- Perform architectural design or refinement of high-level product concepts. Envision potential solution embodiments and engage stakeholders with Riskiest Assumption Testing (RAT) or Minimal Viable Prototype (MVP) approaches where appropriate.
- Perform software design based on design inputs, characteristics of the existing software base, consultation with other engineering staff, and system functional requirements.
- Perform software implementation, following coding guidelines and taking into account system characteristics to produce optimal performance, reliability, and maintainability
- Conduct software evaluation and testing of own software, software from other engineering staff, and third-party software
- Provide a test plan for use by other engineering staff, quality assurance and support departments in validating a new implementation
- Provide technical documentation for the design, implementation and testing of the software
- Attend design review meetings as needed to adhere to the software development procedures
- Document and repair errors related to fielded software issues
- Assist the engineering staff in clarifying requests for software changes and understand reported problems
- Strong skills in C/C++ and software design for the embedded BLE and multi-processor applications with memory and timing constraints.
- Ability to analyze software written in Assembly language.
- Experience in device driver development on microcontrollers.
- Experience in development of BLE stacks on microcontrollers.
- Design experience in inter-processor communications using event driven State Machines and message synchronization.
- Strong knowledge in the software-hardware interface, digital electronic logics, System On Chip (SOC) of the common communication interfaces (e.g. RS232, RS485, USB, Ethernet, SPI, I2C) and System On Chip (SOC) programming
- Familiar with Development IDEs (e.g. IAR, Keil, Eclipse, and/or Visual Studio)
- Reading schematics and knowing the digital logics
- Good knowledge in electromechanical controls, sensors and actuators.
- Familiar with Real Time Operating systems.
- Experience with creating development tests.
- Experience in the JTAG based debugging.
- Familiar with using the Digital Storage Scopes, Logic Analyzer, Functional Generators etc. to debug the system.
- Familiar with Graphical User Interface (GUI) design and implementation.
- Familiarity with Agile / Scrum methodologies is desired.
- Knowledge of software life cycle processes including IEC 62304
- Experience in design verification of Medical Device in an FDA-regulated environment is preferred.
- Actively mentor associates in related technical roles. Provide technical direction and frequent feedback. Participate and assist in their success. Continue to raise the bar on technical skills and help associates rise to expectations. Advise management of technical needs and desired skill mix.
- Strong technical engagement and partnership across R&D teams to define & optimize system integration and influence architectural design for products developed both internally and externally (including OEMs, contract development and joint-ventures) including
- Architectural definition and block diagrams
- Design tradeoffs
- Interface definition and documentation
- Cross-Functional Leadership & influence
- Engaged leader with the skills, knowledge and aptitude to empathize, influence, direct and challenge all functions (at all levels) involved in the creation of connected health products in a complex matrix and cross business unit organization.
- Demonstrate strong and clear accountability for the successful and timely completion of designated tasks
- Promote and leverage diversity to achieve best outcomes. Ensure all relevant parties have opportunities to contribute to decisions and outcomes
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, ability to interact with all levels and functions internally and with customers
- Independent, capable of operating without appreciable direction. Exercise judgment and critical thinking in assessing technical objectives, partnerships, deliverables and collaborations.
- You will have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or equivalent, related post graduate degree an advantage.
- You will have 10-12+ years’ experience in embedded software experience, medical industry preferred with demonstrated success developing software based electromechanical systems (sensing, communication and control) with working knowledge of complex algorithm and application development for digital health applications.
- Knowledge of global business with intense focus on healthcare and medical technology
- Dynamic problem solver able to anticipate potential problems and create solutions.
- You will be an excellent communicator with ability to run meetings and workshops (face to face, conference calls, Global Connect).
Primary Work Location
IRL Dun Laoghaire - Pottery Road