Senior Manager, Material Operations
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Senior Manager Material Operations
Reporting directly to the Director of Material Operations, the Senior Manager Material Operations will serve as an integral member of both the Material Operations leadership team (MOLT) and Site Operations Review Team (ORT) based in the Shanbally biologics drug substance manufacturing facility.
The Material Operations department is responsible for the site planning & scheduling, procurement, Oracle recipe management, VMI (Vendor Managed Inventory), Warehouse, Dispensing/Sampling and Shipping.
Specifically, under the remit of the Senior manager Material Operations will be:
- Site Warehousing including all of site cold storage.
- Dispensary & Sampling Operations
- 3PL Warehouse Management
- Site Shipping Operations
The Material Operations Senior Manager will manage the function in the Shanbally site to ensure reliable product supply to a global patient population. This function in the Shanbally site is responsible for all Materials handling activities and ensuring 100% continuity of supply to all site operations.
The Material Operations Senior Manager must also ensure that all raw materials, consumables and packaging components are in place (including sampled) on time to support site manufacturing and packaging activities. This will involve close collaboration with both internal stakeholders as well as external suppliers within the site Make/Assess/Release program.
This role involves leading and building and evolving to a successful and high performing Material Operations team to support Shanbally site operations.
The Material Operations Senior Manager is required to foster a close working relationship with multiple departments/peers at a local level becoming a key resource on the site Operations Review Team (ORT) but also globally within Material Operations, Global Procurement and Tech Ops as well as other groups such as Quality, Commercial Operations and Regulatory.
Material Operations Senior Manager will be responsible for people management of his/her direct reports including development, coaching, appraisals and performance management.
It is expected the Material Operations Senior Manager will develop a high-performing, team based organization, where colleagues are flexible, multi-skilled and empowered to make decisions that result in safe, agile and compliant manufacture of Drug Substance material and movement of Finished Goods product through the facility onward to the patient.
A high level of initiative, energy and motivation are key role requirements, as well as organizational and people management skills.
Main areas of responsibility:
- Oversees responsibilities of the Receiving/Shipping Lead, Warehouse Ops Lead, 3PL service providers.
- Develop process metrics in line with MOLT & site goals for the function that measure effectiveness towards achieving goals, provide visibility to improvement opportunities, and track progress of improvement initiatives.
- Strong focus of visibility boards for Material Operations metrics and status with focus on Warehouse areas needing more efficiency.
- Support and partner closely with the MFG, Packaging Ops, Quality, Regulatory, Global Procurement, GEO and Projects group
- Instil the use of Right First Time (six-sigma) and lean manufacturing practices leading to operational excellence.
- Represent Material Operations group as necessary at critical meetings.
- Develop and demonstrate an active approach to safety, industrial hygiene, environmental and regulatory compliance
- Coach, mentor and train colleagues on processes, use of operational excellence tools, and high-performance team behaviours.
- Participate and support plant optimization that helps create a strong value proposition for future investment.
- Ensures outgoing shipments are coordinated properly to meet deadlines.
- Identifies strategic areas of opportunity and executes continuous improvement initiatives throughout the warehouse and logistics function.
- Support quality investigations to ensure timely and effective closure of investigations impacting on the function.
Experienced to all full participation in the Mat Ops budget planning process - identifying needs of capital equipment, facility, materials, staffing investment scalable to forecasted operational growth.
Bachelor’s degree in Science, Engineering, Supply chain or a related field/equivalent experience is required.
Supply Chain Management training is preferred.
5-6 years+ of management in a key leadership position required
APICS certification (CPIM, CRIM, CSCP) desirable
Strong Logistics background with a focus on inventory management
Highly developed organizational and leadership skills.
Experience in cold chain logistics and storage preferred
Experience in Pharmaceutical manufactured desired, Biotech highly preferred
Demonstrated ability to partner with other functional groups to achieve business objectives highly desired
Track record of embedding a strong Quality culture. Quality System experience preferred.
Experience with GMP Regulatory inspections.
Proficient in Operational Excellence, Lean Process development, Six Sigma tools and techniques is desirable
Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint required
The Material Operations Senior Manager will initially have ~4-5 direct reports.
Note: This description is not intended to be all-inclusive or a limitation of the duties of the position. It is intended to describe the general nature of the job that may include other duties as assumed or assigned.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.