Title: PHP Developer
My client is a thriving InsurTech company providing SaaS solutions, training, and professional services consultancy to the financial advisory and insurance industries.
The platform is a cutting-edge ecosystem of financial tools that assist financial brokers in giving independent, impartial financial advice to end customers. Thought leadership and innovation is in our DNA. From the future of Financial Advice, to easy to understand education and tools, our team is helping to transform the financial advice landscape in Ireland and the UK to make it easier for end customers to Engage, Understand and Take Action on their financial matters.
As our team continues to grow, very exciting career opportunity has emerged for an enthusiastic PHP Developer within our thriving technology team. Successful candidates will work with a creative design team to shape and drive the development of compelling new products and services. The role offers an opportunity to work with varying clients in the Financial Services sector. We provide an exciting, agile, fast paced environment that fosters creative thinkers and doers.
- Collaborate with internal and external customers to determine solution requirements.
- Design, prototype and develop solutions in collaboration with the broader team, while ensuring what has been designed & developed is optimised, modular, scalable and secured. Such solutions and their components often comprise:
- An optimised visual web or mobile interface.
- A secure REST API. (Typically, XML or JSON)
- Auditing and profiling of solutions and modules to monitor their scalability as well as subsequent optimisation as needed.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to other team members as required.
- Research and rapid prototyping using new and emerging technologies in support of our business objectives and strategy.
- Contribute to organisational process improvement.
- Setup and maintenance of various deployment environments as required.
- Participate in regular code reviews, knowledge sharing activities and innovation workshops both internally and with our customers.
Key Skills & Experience Requirements
- 5+ years of PHP (version 5+) development experience, ideally with strong knowledge of a PHP web framework such as Laravel, Django, Cake, or similar.
- 5+ years of experience using RDBMS such as Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL or similar. Experience optimising database interactions as well as using relevant platform functionality such as stored procedures and triggers.
- 3+ years of experience working in a Unix / Linux operating system environment with experience both setting up, configuring and maintaining software stacks.
- 2+ years of experience designing and building REST web-services with accompanying security, scalability and documentation infrastructure to compliment.
- Knowledgeable in tools and techniques to support continuous integration and automated testing such as Chef, Puppet, Jenkins or similar.
- Solid understanding of SCM principles with experience working with a modern solution such as GIT or Subversion.
- Strong knowledge and practice of Object Oriented Design principles and patterns.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of developing solutions and components with application security in mind.
- Demonstrable ability to work effectively both as an individual contributor and as part of a larger team.
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills (both written and verbal) with ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, management and customers in the course of performing their duties.
- Strong attention to detail, with clear ability to adapt and function effectively in a fast paced, customer centric environment.
- Ability to provide strong input to project planning and estimation.
- Ability to prioritise tasks and work on multiple assignments.
- Batchelors degree in relevant discipline.
Additional Desirable Skills & Experience
Financial services experience and knowledge of typical investment and / or risk products advantageous but not essential.
- NoSQL database experience (such as MongoDB or CouchBase)
- Web / HTML optimisation tools and techniques such as Grunt, Gulp or similar.
- Knowledge of content management systems such as Wordpress or Drupal an advantage.
- Agile / Scrum master experience.
- Cross platform app development experience using technologies such as Apache Cordova or similar.
- Previous professional services / customer facing consultancy experiences an advantage