Maintaining our standards of integrity, and fair and ethical practices with our external partners is at the core of our values as Cook Medical. Continuing in that tradition, a new global functional area of support has been created within Cook Medical: Governance, Contracts & Audits (GCA).
Formerly housed within our Distribution Channel Management operational unit, GCA will continue its responsibility for the contractual, governance, and auditing functions for our third party distributors. Additionally, the scope of GCA is expanding to include governance and contracts with healthcare providers and medical events globally.
Subsequently, we now have an exciting global opportunity available for an additional Legal Counsel within this new function. This new role will assume responsibility for Cook Medical’s legal arrangements globally in respect of medical education and interaction with Health Care Professionals (HCPs) provided for and on behalf of Cook Medical, managing a global team tasked with completing due diligence, drafting and negotiating agreements, as well as making all necessary associated filings for the appointment of HCPs.
Reporting to: Director, Senior Legal Counsel, GCA
- Manage and mentor a global team of Governance, Contracts and Audit Managers who have responsibility for completing due diligence, drafting and negotiating agreements, as well as making all necessary associated filings for the appointment of healthcare professionals (HCPs) who will provide medical education for and on behalf of Cook Medical.
- Ensure resources and expertise are assigned to meet GCA and company goals and objectives
- Develop internal governance procedures for the selection, qualification and management of HCPs
- Oversee a diverse portfolio of existing contracts, allocating the necessary expertise and advice to the GCA Manager team as appropriate.
- Draft, review and negotiate commercial contracts as needed
- Provide accurate and practical legal advice to team members and external partners as appropriate
- Ensure legal compliance and limit risk exposure in the area of medical education and HCP interaction for Cook Medical.
- Promote a team culture which is respectful and supportive of individual differences as well as fosters accountability.
- Formal legal qualification and qualified to practice law in Ireland, UK or USA.
- Minimum of 7 years relevant experience in private practice or in-house counsel.
- Demonstrable experience in negotiating and drafting complex commercial agreements, primarily in English, although additional language skills would be advantageous.
- Clear understanding of regulatory environment and legal frameworks within the medical device industry, in addition to all applicable ethics and compliance standards.
- Proven track record of managing teams and associated workloads, with the ability to prioritise and deal with multiple issues.
- Proactive and highly motivated with strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently with minimal supervision
- Flexible and adaptable in a changing environment
- Willingness & availability to travel on company business
About Cook Medical
Since 1963, Cook Medical has been finding solutions to improve the world’s healthcare problems for the patients and doctors we serve. As one of the world’s largest private companies, we have always operated with our patients, customers, employees and communities at our core. We do this, not only because it is good business, but also because we believe that being a good corporate citizen is the right thing to do.
Cook Medical has been in Limerick since 1993. Since opening, we have become a European headquarters for many of Cook’s business functions.
With a global workforce of 12,000, we employ over 850 people in Ireland who bring Endoscopy, Urology and Peripheral Intervention products from conception to commercialisation.
Our employee benefits include:
- Life Assurance and Income Protection cover
- Educational Assistance
- Company sponsored Defined Contribution pension scheme
- Medical Health Insurance cover for you and your immediate family
- Extensive health & wellness program including Indian head massages, healthy lifestyle seminars, mindfulness courses, physio sessions, flu vaccinations, nutrition talks
- Fully equipped gym on site
- 39-hour week with flexible start & finish times
- Paid time off to participate in volunteer activities
- Free parking
- Subsidised restaurant
- Sports & Social club